Friday, October 24, 2008

sweet life...must be somewhere for me!

"No sun will shine in my day today; (no sun will
shine)
The high yellow moon won't come out to play(that
high yellow moon won't come out to play)
I said (darkness) darkness has covered my
light,
(and the stage) And the stage my day into night,
yeah.
Where is the love to be found?
(oo-ooh-ooh)
Won't someone tell me?'Cause my (sweet life) life
must be somewhere to be found -(must be somewhere for me)Instead of concrete
jungle (la la-la!),Where the living is harder (la-la!).
"
-Bob Marley and the Wailers, "Concrete Jungle"





This guy?

Saved my life on many occasions.
Bob's pretty friggin awesome. I've always been a listener/lover; my parents raised me up on the Wailers, and I remember cleaning up the house on Saturday mornings (in a big ass Garfield nightgown) chanting about "burning and ah looting". But with age comes wisdom (hopefully) and now instead of polishing furniture, I'm listening to Bob tell the very stories my heart has known since before I arrived on this earth.
The past couple of weeks have been pretty rough for me, for various reasons, but I'm just noticing that I picked up on my frequent listening to this wonderful prophet/musician/man. He's actually helped me make it through some days where I really didn't feel like doing anything but laying in the bed and throwing a non-stop pity party. Marley's like...the world's most famous griot. Seriously.


Bottom Line: Robert Nesta Marley is dope. And if you don't know...you need to. And...if you're not spitting some semblance of the knowledge of this man, you're damn sure wasting your time talking to me.

:) Thanks.

-BTW. If I had been born...maybe in the early/late 50s...I would have married this man. I swear it.

No comments: